Saturday 25 September 2010

Disclaimer and final thoughts

Disclaimer


As an employee of Diabetes UK and as someone raising money for Diabetes UK I have included information about my work and the work of Diabetes UK throughout this blog, coupled with my own thoughts and feelings. For this reason  I must clearly state:

However intelligent, awesome or amusing the content of this blog may be, all content is the personal experiences and opinions of myself and has nothing to do with Diabetes UK or its partners.


Final Thoughts

My challenge over the past two months really stemmed from a mix of interest in a news item and one man's general boredom. I was and have been told I was an idiot for taking up this challenge, but luckily for me I am also a stubborn idiot and so ignored the ridicule of others (including my father) to continue with my challenge. At the end of the day it has been challenging, at times frustrating, but I am very glad I did it.

The structure forced upon  me by living on £6.25 a day was at times enjoyable. It provided me with a comforting clarity in the process of making choices by reducing my options. It provided me with motivation (to cycle those eight miles a day), discipline (to not waste my money on things that are really unnecessary, this includes junk food, meals out, things you only use once and then never use again). What I am trying to say is that choice is definitely a blessing and a curse. Really we don't need much to live or much to be happy, what's more, if we exercise instead of getting transport, if we cook ourselves instead of eating out, you'll soon realise that you are growing as a person and can improve your life for free.

Thanks in part to the past two months I really believe we can easily fill our time doing enjoyable things without spending money, and I hope this can be a consolation to those that don't have much. For those that do have money, take a second to think before you buy, whether you have time to wait a little, whether there are better and more important things you could purchase if you saved now and bought later, or most importantly, is what you're buying simply something to comfort your own laziness. Maybe if you are a bit firmer with yourself you can realise where all the money goes so quickly, make simple little changes and maybe stop yourself from praying for payday every month.

A simple idea lead me to another country and the opportunity to get something published in a foreign newspaper.   My journey was completely organic and I think it showed that life can be very interesting when you take a step back and decide to do something a little out of the ordinary.

Sure there may be justification in me being labelled an idiot or a little crazy, but I am proud with what I have achieved over the past two months and I feel at least I am an idiot with a great story. Thanks for all those that sponsored me and for those of you that want to read on please do, although I would suggest starting from the beginning.