Saturday 24 July 2010

Challenge Day 11: The Challenge Goes Global and the Free event that never was..

The day started as normal; Porridge>make lunch> bus> arrive at work. Today at work I was meeting one of our community champions to talk about potentially setting up a voluntary support group.

The Community Champions training is a course, run by two members of my team, for people from diverse communities and hard to reach groups. Often health trainers or doctors from these communities are the ones to attend, and the point of the training is to turn them into ambassadors for Diabetes UK, being able to speak to their various communities and show them how they are affected, the risk factors, the myths, what care they should be given and what they can do to prevent the onset of diabetes. As the ethnic population grows parallel to the incidence of diabetes within those communities, the work of the Community Champions will be vital in saving lives in the present and saving money (that would be spent on treating the complications of diabetes) in the future.

Whilst I was at work one of the digital media team told me they had publicised my challenge by posting it on the Diabetes UK Facebook group. The post received many comments and it was not surprising to see that many people have to live on a lot less than £10 a day and unlike me, many of them have to care for more than just themselves. I want to say now that I chose the £10 (£6.25 excluding rent) a day figure because of the report from the Joseph Rowntree foundation and by calling it a challenge for myself I hope that I have not come across as insensitive to those that are struggling to cope with financial pressures on a permanent basis. I really hope I can provide some good tips in the process of my challenge.

After 11 days without attending any free things in London I decided I was long overdue in practising what I preached. I decided I would go see a free preview of the Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Festival that was being held in the Kingsway Hall Hotel near Holborn station. My friend Laith text me to say he wanted to search for bikes again in Camden, so would meet me later and we could go to the comedy event together.

I then received an email from my friend Joao, who worked in the Tapas bar around the corner. He had just finished his degree in Marketing and had found a volunteer position at Diabetes UK and wanted my help, in return he would get me my favourite dish for free (Spanish Omelette). I had reserved Friday evening for my treat of a Pizza, but decided if I could have Spanish Omelette for free then I would have Pizza tonight instead.

Work ended and I bought my gluten free pizza for £1.95 (in comparison to 62p for a normal one).
I then met Laith. We cooked our pizzas in the international hall of Kings College University in Russell Square (where he lived with his girlfriend). It was interesting that there was a place in the building where international students left possessions they didn't want to take back with them when they finished university. I didn't find anything of interest but thought it was worth a look.

We quickly finished our dinners and headed to the Hotel for the comedy event. We entered the Hotel and went to the desk. I asked where to go for the comedy event and in return was given a slightly blank expression of confusion by the two people behind the desk. "Errr maybe next door" the lady said. We went next door and no luck, it seems Time Out magazine had made a mistake in location, and five or six other people then turned up, also looking for the comedy event. The staff checked their schedule again but still no comedy night. Me and Laith then decided to go home, although we needed to drop by his to pick up my bag.

On the way we heard some interesting sounds coming from the Student Bar of the Institute of Education. They had a Gypsy folk band playing, which was amazing. We sat down and Laith got a drink, I kept to tap water. Not feeling like I had wasted my evening completely I headed back home.

Spent £108.02

Thank you very much to Vicky, Jessica, Allan and Rose for sponsoring me. Additionally, thank you to everyone who wished me well on the DUK Facebook page.