Wednesday 21 July 2010

Challenge Day 9: Back to work, a tale of two buses

Tuesday morning I woke at 6am to get the bus to work. Usual start, porridge> make lunch > get the bus.

I got on the bus about 7:30am and we made good time until we got to Oxford Circus. Usually, the slowdown was a cause of traffic, but today the streets were reasonably clear. Instead by the time we got to the beginning of Regent Street the entire bus STANK!!!!!

It smelt like someone with a passionate avoidance of bathing had soiled themselves into the air conditioning unit. The smell was so bad that the bus stopped in Regents Street and everybody had to get off. After my previous pasta-pesto affair, I was painfully paranoid the addition of spring onions to my cheese sandwich was the cause of the whole problem. I think I smelt my sandwich about five times, although due to engulfing smell around me I had no idea if it was me or not, adding to the paranoia.

If it had not been for my ankle I would have run to the next bus stop, however, I didn't have to wait too long for the next bus to take me to the next stop. There I got off smelt my sandwich again, which was clearly not the route of the smell, and waited for the subsequent bus. Considering London buses don't have an on-board toilet (this is definitely not a request), the smell will forever remain a mystery.

Anyway, I got to work and was excited about the big event of the day, the post work charity softball game. Now after joining Diabetes UK I was very glad to help setup a 5-a-side football team. I love football almost as much as me and my dad love cricket. However, I had stopped playing cricket a few years ago and softball to me sounded a bit too much like rounders, and rounders in comparison to cricket, like most things that happen on Clapham Common, sounded a bit fruity.

However, I'm very glad to say my prejudice was completely unjust. Not only did 30 cans of lager for the team (to be consumed whilst playing before the mandatory post game trip to the pub) provide a great social activity off the pitch, but on the pitch, the game itself, with its superior frequency of match winning decisions and rulings without unbiased umpires, made some games extremely tense and ready to kick off at any point. Charity softball was in no way a light hearted affair.

The latest game was no exception. The match was against one of leagues top sides, if we won, we would have a great chance of reaching this years finals, if we lost our chances wouldn't be in our hands. I was gutted to not be able to play because of my ankle and wrist but I had faith in our team. Unfortunately for us, we were a player down to begin with and Raleigh, batting first managed to get 7 runs. However, we fought very hard and after 2 of the 4 innings we were leading 12-10. They then got another 7 runs and in our third innings we didn't manage to score. They scored another 2 points in their final innings to leave us 7 behind with one innings left.
We didn't make it, only getting two more runs, but the team played really well and can take a lot of positives from the performance, especially as the other team never look evidently better than us at any point.

We headed to the pub, but the walk from Hyde park station to the pitch, added to the walk to the park had ruined my ankle. I limped to the bus stop near Knightsbridge station and caught the bus home. After walking to the bus a girl accidentally walked into me trying to get on, I let her get on first and we started a conversation as we sat down together. She lived in Clapham too, but was originally from Manchester, just living in London on her placement year. She was working in the toy section of Harrods during her summer break. I asked her if anyone actually buys those £10,000 replica cars at the entrance of the toy section of Harrods. She said no, but there was no shortage of kids rocking up to the counter with £400 worth of toys, paid for in one go by a succession of £50 notes.

We continued to talk and before I knew it, it was time to get off and cook the remainder of my spaghetti bolognese from the previous night.

First day back at work and I actually spent.........nothing.

Spent £106.07

P.s I have updated yesterdays entry and would also like to say a big thank you to Ryan, Anna, Will, Richard and Shaun for donating.

Thanks for reading and remember if you have any tips, hints or suggestions for things you would like to see in the blog then email me on alex.silverstein@diabetes.org.uk. Take care.

Alex