Tuesday 20 July 2010

Challenge Day 8: Last day of rest

I decided to listen to my Doctor and maintain my five days of rest by taking the Monday off.

I spent most of the day catching up on my blog, highlights included meeting my new neighbour and meeting a French girl who was collecting for Red Cross.

Additionally, I took care of my travel for the next month by buying a months bus pass for zones 1-2 for £63.80.

Near the start of my challenge I wondered if anyone had decided, like me, to live on a reduced budget. I did this partly for inspiration and good tips, and partly because I was beginning to wonder whether people were right to look at me like I needed counselling when I told them about my challenge.

The book I found made me look like a king (like a good saver I ordered it from the local library). The Author Katherine Kelly, a teacher from Bristol, lived for one year on just £1 a day, or at least that's what the title suggested. I read the first 50 pages and will definitely post some of the tips she suggests, but I felt I now needed to justify my £10 a day in comparison to Ms Kelly.

Firstly, I don't have a roadworthy bike. Additionally, not only was she travelling in Bristol not London (somewhere, despite Boris's new blue cycle lanes, is one of the most dangerous places for a bicyclist to ride).

Secondly, she put her health at risk by occasionally deciding to just eat toast and fruit crumble for the entire day. I want my challenge to promote one of Diabetes UK's key strategic aims; that of Healthy Living. Therefore, I am still eating three meals a days with snacks (mainly of fruit) and making sure I have at least the daily recommended amount of fruit and vegetables.

Finally, she was given and borrowed a lot of free stuff from friends.

Anyway, not to take anything away from her, it does sounds like a great story from what I have read so far and will keep you updated with tips and ideas worth mentioning.

Back to work tomorrow.

Spent £106.07