Monday 19 July 2010

Challenge Day 5: A day of Cousins

Today at 7:30 am in North London my cousin Michaela was having her Batmitvah. Unfortunately, I was still recovering from my ankle injury and woke up at 7:30 to an empty house (my parents had woken at 5 :30 to get there in time).

My Brazilian cleaner Rosa then woke me again, as she entered the house at about 8:30. I greeted her in Portuguese and she quizzed me on what I had learnt so far.
Although, I had missed out on seeing one cousin, I had to prepare for another one, who was visiting with a friend for the weekend from New York via Oxford.

Mercedes (my cousin) and her friend Adriana were staying in Oxford during the summer. They were taking part in an international summer school on Shakespeare that gave them additional credits towards their degrees. After a brief catch up they went off to discover London and I went back to the sofa to read my new book.

Over the past two months I had began learning Italian at work, taught by my fellow colleague Ilaria. I decided although I could no longer afford weekly lessons, I would buy the textbook myself and then rejoin after the two months were over, hopefully having not fallen behind too much. I found a used copy from Amazon for £1.87, which had arrived that morning so I began my first lesson, whilst not forgetting my fifth Portuguese lesson too.

I decided against visiting the free Proms and fireworks in Shoreditch park, not just because of my ankle, but also because the girls felt they could watch fireworks in America, unlike the opportunity to spend a few extra hours in London, so they didn't want to go either. My friend Laith still went and said he enjoyed it.

After dinner I suggested to my cousin and her friend that they take a drive around London at night time with my mum. I came along too as I always enjoy seeing the Houses of Parliament, Millennium Wheel and most importantly an illuminated Harrods at night time.

Spent 32.27