Monday 19 July 2010

Challenge Day 3: An expensive twist

By day 3 I was beginning to start a routine. Porridge > make lunch > bus stop. Then began a bad bus journey that would be a fair representation of the day.

My new lunch of pasta, pesto, spring onions, sweetcorn and red peppers was, despite being locked in a supposedly air-tight container stinking out my bag and the upper deck of the bus. So much so that three people moved after sitting next to me. Sure they were moving into where they had two seats free but it still felt like a semi-personal attack against me and my new choice of lunch.

I pleaded ignorance, stuck on my headphones and continued with lesson three of Portuguese. By the time the bus got to Oxford street I had 40 minutes to get to work, plenty of time I thought. Apparently not, I could have walked faster but I decided I'd done enough walking recently.

After the Portuguese lesson had finished I had run out of things to quell my bus rage and I also had about five minutes to get to work by the time I got to Euston too. Then to add insult to injury the bus broke down between Warren Street and Camden and I had to walk the remainder of the journey anyway. I quickly took my offending lunch out of my bag and put it into my drawer under my desk (which was actually airtight). Lunch was nice and probably worth the hassle. Additionally, as I had walked about 14 miles in two days and was planning to play football that evening too, it was properly wise to have something more substantial than a cheese sandwich.

Now with football I had 2 choices. Walk home then get a lift with my friend Pete and play on a nice astro pitch with the regulars (including a BBC newsreader and a friend from university I hadnt seen for a while) costing £7. My second choice was to play with my friend Nic and his LSE mates in Finsbury park for free.

I decided to choose the latter (ofcourse) and the 3.5 mile walk from work to Finsbury park would be in exchange for getting the tube home after football. I warmed up meticulously in fear of getting an injury that would stop me from walking 7 miles home everyday.
Unfortunately, no level of stretching could have prepared me from the potholes within Finsbury park and chasing back my right foot went into the pothole and I then proceeded to fall over my ankle, twisting it in the process. I managed to limp to the train station with Nic whilst worrying about what this meant for my challenge.

I got home iced it and hoped that it would be better in the morning, otherwise I might have to spend an extra £60+ on getting transport home too, about 10% of my total budget.

An expensive twist indeed.

Spent £27